LEWIS is seeking an experienced Vice President to perform as a senior leader for Public Relations in our sizable Boston office. This position is important to the culture, development and growth of our Boston and East Coast operations. The role has team and client management responsibility and is part of the Boston senior management team. It reports into the Senior Vice President leading the office, with the opportunity to work across national and global offices. Some travel in the US region will be required and there may be occasional travel globally.
We are an entrepreneurial integrated communications agency that has gone from start-up to multi-national in just 22 years. We have grown every year since foundation due to a combination of organic growth and strategic acquisitions. Our ambition is to break into the top ten by 2020. We have a network of 25 offices, 550 employees and revenue of $64m. Not bad for an agency that doesn’t take itself too seriously.
What’s behind our success? Well, we’re independent so we can continually reinvest the majority of our profits in the company to propel development. We invest wisely in growth areas such as our social, digital and content teams. We challenge ourselves to stay one step ahead of the competition by delivering innovative solutions for clients which can be activated at pace and scale.
We are agile, bold, collaborative, inquisitive and spirited. We are Team LEWIS. And we believe that we are on the cusp of something truly remarkable in our industry.
Purpose of the role
The role will work closely with the SVP Boston to champion a collaborative culture, provide hands-on development of our people, and help develop and drive creative, excellent, and consistent client service, retention, and profitability. This role will also lead and play a significant role in new business development, credentials and pitches.
- Build and retain a high-caliber and motivated team – inspire and nurture a first-class culture in which people can excel with a clear career path
- Develop strong relationships with clients, providing ongoing strategic consultancy and program insights and initiatives for retention and organic growth
- Ensure the delivery of excellent, consistent service and measurable business results to clients
- Manage business elements including client profitability and budgets
- Help drive new business activity, support and build out practice areas, develop strong prospect relationships to growth
- Lead credentials and pitches
- Promote and drive the integration of the PR and digital, marketing practices to deliver a cohesive service offering to clients
- Champion the cascading of US clients across the LEWIS global network
- Present the strategic face of the agency to external audiences through speaker opportunities, interviews with the media etc
- Overall, be a collaborative, encouraging and supportive member of the Boston senior management team.
This is an opportunity to put your own mark on something new based on your years of hands-on experience winning and growing clients, and managing accounts. You lead by example, ever curious, passionate and self-driven. You are inherently collaborative — engaging team members above and below you to achieve success for employees, clients and the business. You have strong domain expertise in B2B technology and you understand the relationship between PR, digital and traditional marketing.
Your business network is strong and you have an impressive track record of winning and developing accounts as well as of retention and organic growth of existing clients. Considered, assertive and influential, you are an outstanding leader with the skills and aptitude to structure, develop and motivate a strong team, top to bottom. You are able to forge strong relationships with eclectic senior stakeholders. You relish challenges and you thrive in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, international environment.
- Creative, passionate, fun and connected within the Boston innovation and PR community
- Proven track record of meeting goals; evidence of consistently making good decisions through a combination of analysis, experience, and judgment
- High level of business acumen, including successful commercial management
- Ability to think strategically, anticipate future trends and potential pitfalls
- Excel at managing and leading ambitious and creative people; a collaborative team builder who is able to instill accountability and empower people to succeed
- Knowledge of finance, operational/information systems, HR
- Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Ability to problem solve, project manage and multi-task. Will take charge of a situation and act, taking unpopular stands when necessary
- Undergraduate (Bachelors) degree or higher
- Integrity, humility, self-drive/initiative.
Key senior internal contacts
- SVP, Boston – line manager
- VPs in Boston and across the US offices
- VP Business Development (Boston)
- Executive Vice President, US (San Francisco)
- Senior Vice President PR, West Coast (San Francisco)
- SVPs leading Washington DC, NYC (tba), San Diego and future offices
- SVP, US Head of Brand Marketing (San Francisco)
- SVP Pulse (San Francisco)
- SVP Piston (San Diego)
- VP, Media Strategy (San Francisco)
- HR Director (Boston)
Remuneration and benefits
- Basic salary dependent on experience
- Performance related bonus
- 20 days’ vacation per year
- Health insurance; life insurance
- 401k with 2% employer match (eligible after 30 days of employment)
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of the responsibilities for this role. Other responsibilities may be added from time to time.